Free Drop-Off Tax Preparation
- Available to households making less than $57,000
- First you’ll schedule your drop-off time. When it’s time for your appointment, just pull up right outside and we will bring a short, simple form for you to complete.
- After the form has been completed, we will take your tax documentation and begin preparing your return. And most importantly, YOU can leave and go about your day, knowing your tax return is being prepared accurately by IRS trained VITA volunteers!
- You will be contacted to pick-up your completed return. (Usually 5-7 days)
- Available February 22 - April 15
or Call to Schedule Your Appointment
File Online for Free
- Want to do your own taxes?
- All income levels are eligible to file both your federal and state returns for FREE!
- Safe, easy, secure
- Powered by TaxSlayer software
Not in Marion or Taylor Counties?
Find Other Free Tax Prep Sites Around West Virginia
WHAT TO BRING
- Social Security card for you, your spouse and any dependents
- Photo ID for yourself and your spouse, if filing jointly
- Income and expense documentation (W-2, 1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, etc) for the previous year
- Copies of the previous year’s federal and state tax returns, if available
- Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit (a voided check is acceptable)
Your spouse must be present to sign required forms if filing jointly.
OUT OF SCOPE RETURNS
Our tax preparers are certified to prepare a variety of tax returns, including Schedule Cs, itemized returns, and Schedule Ds. However, due to IRS regulations for VITA sites, we are unable to prepare tax returns with the following characteristics:
- Rental property income or expenses
- Minister tax returns with parsonage/housing allowance
- Taxpayers with dual citizenship
- Schedule C with:
- Business use of home
- Net losses
- Expenses for employees or contract labor
- Cost of goods sold (inventory)
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and couples, particularly those with children. Through its VITA program, United Way is working to help all Marion and Taylor county families receive what they are due. In addition to being a financial boost for working people, the EITC boosts the local economy. Research has shown that the EITC encourages work, reduces poverty and leads to long-term gains in child health and academic success.
Chris Yost, Program Manager